Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte was placed on the restricted list Monday after missing the team’s game against Boston at Fenway Park. Manager Torey Lovullo said Marte was dealing with a personal issue and had been largely unreachable, although he had traveled with Arizona from Atlanta to Boston. The team delayed its lineup announcement and used Ildemaro Vargas at second base while calling up infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno. Boston defeated Arizona 11-1. Lovullo said Marte was safe but that the organization was trying to understand the situation. No publicly confirmed explanation of the personal matter or timetable for Marte’s return was available in the reporting reviewed. Marte previously spent time on the restricted list in July 2025 after his Arizona home was burglarized during the All-Star break. He returned to the Dominican Republic and later apologized for missing games. The current absence is unresolved.
Reviewed by editorial team.
Left: Evidence insufficient to establish a distinct left-leaning framing. Center: Coverage emphasizes confirmed absence, personal issue, uncertainty, and team response. Right: Coverage emphasizes disruption, repeated absences, and possible clubhouse consequences.
August 17, 2026: Diamondbacks placed Marte on restricted list after absence. https://www.reuters.com/sports/d-backs-ketel-marte-no-shows-game-placed-restricted-list--flm-2026-08-18/
Diamondbacks Star Ketel Marte Placed on Restricted List After No-Show
Reuters via FTV News Reuters Espn Ftvnews Bleacherreport Theathletic Azcentral Azsnakepit Masslive Nbcsportsboston Cbssports Foxsports SportingnewsKetel Marte doesn't show up to game as Diamondbacks scramble to replace him
New York Post
Comments